Tuesday, January 8, 2008

My Wishes for 2008


Well, I lost the first draft of this and will try again. Following the lead of Doug Johnson, I will articulate some wishes for my library and school for the new year. Since my blog is a general one about the library, and not specifically a tech blog like Doug's, the items will be diverse.

I wish:

* that the administration and board continue to support educational technology at a high level

* that faculty continue to improve their skills at using all the new tools, both hardware and software, becoming more and more comfortable with such and thereby enhacing the classroom experience

* that we make time for more faculty in service sessions where we can practice using new tools

* that more teachers will catch on to the value of blogging

* that faculty work together to draft a manual of good research practices, with an emphasis on practical ways to avoid student plagiarism (such as lessons in how to summarize and paraphrase)

* that my budget might permit me to buy more high quality books

* that those students who enjoy reading continue to do so, and that more readers are tempted by our materials

* that our eighth graders really get involved in reading for Battle of the Books and make us proud at the competition!

* that all faculty attend a conference or a workshop to learn about new tools and practices

* that more students in classes engage in constructive discussion rather than just memorizing lists of facts

* that the library gets its web page, now to be a wiki, up to snuff! and that it is used by students and faculty

* that the arts receive their fair share of support

* that all teachers feel valued and empowered

* that dstudents more and more take responsibility for their own learning
Photo by jlh of art by Bri Johnson, West Barrington, RI

1 comment:

Connie Masson said...

Thanks for the post and here is one back at you.

Your wish list for 2007 should have been sent to Santa a month ago. As I read it I concurred with every wish - I'd like that for all libraries out there and I think most of them need everyone of your wishes - at least it seems that way from my perspective. But being Santa oriented, it felt more like that than New Year's resolutions.

Then I read your previous post and thought you are so right again. We need to count our blessings and realize that we do have so much more than we realize and we are making gains in more ways than we perhaps stop to appreciate. It is all in who we compare ourselves to - those with more or those with less. At least I feel like we are in the middle.

I hope you get all of your wishes in 2008!